Search This Blog

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Johnnie oh Johnnie

Dear Great-great Grandfather, John Tully, you are such an elusive sort.  I have been looking for many years to find your origins.  You see, my husband and I are headed to Ireland next August and I have a deep need to find you and where you came from.

Based on what I DO know about you, I'm betting you are quite the scoundrel...but that's okay. Either you don't really know truths - or you don't like to tell them:  sometimes you say you were born in 1854 other times 1857.  This makes it hard for me to track you down!

Is this you?? Did you travel alone at the age of 16 to live with your brother in the USA?

The first hard evidence I have of your existence is the 1875 NY state census.  So, you've been in the 'States for 6 years but I can't find you!!!  You show up in Fishkill Landing (now the City of Beacon NY) already a Naturalized Citizen, living with your brother Frank and Frank's wife Annie:

Next thing I know it' s 1880 and you are married to Mary Manning, work in a "gas house" and have a son - my great-grandfather "Charley"... Charles Augustus Tully. But, where is Mary??? Why isn't she caring for Charley?

At some point you had quite a reputation as a good guy... The Poughkeepsie Daily Eagle ran a story about you saving a lady:

Wednesday, June 1 18 _ _

DUTCHESS COUNTY NEWSThe Telephone says that on Friday evening last, there happened in that village an accident of a serious character, and it was almost a miraculous escape of a lady from being killed.
At about 8 o'clock Mr. Isaac C. Wood, nurseryman, of FishkillVillage, accompanied by his wife, was coming up Beekman street in his wagon, having just returned from the other side of the river. When just above the gas house Mr. Wood happened to think of some freight that was at the depot for him, and told his wife he would drive back and get it, then turned his team, and in doing so, the wheel caught in some way under the wagon, which partiallyupset it throwing both occupants out over the dashboard.
Mr. Wood fell to the ground directly behind the horse's heels, but was not much hurt, receiving only a few bruises. Mrs. Wood was less fortunate, as in falling out she caught on the pole, and the reins became entangled about her and were drawn tight about her limbs.
The team ran, and Mrs. Wood was In a most dangerous position at the horses' heels. She remained in this position for some distance, then fell to the ground and was dragged several feet before the team could be stopped.
The horses ran as far as Thomas Clark's store, and were there stopped by John Tully, of the gas works, who with others assisted in extricating the lady from her perilous situation. Mrs. Wood was taken into Patrick Clark's house, and Dr. J. E. Moish was called and examined her injuries.
About an hour later Mr. Wood procured one of Peattle's carriages and took his wife home. On their arrival Dr. Conkling was present and dressed her wounds. She was severely cut and bruised, but it was thought that no bones were broken.

Next it's 1892 and now

My first post about you:;postID=3541873193857905155;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=0;src=postname

No comments:

Post a Comment