Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday

Today is Treasure Chest Thursday in the genealogy blogger world. 

This treasure is a pocket-knife owned by my great-grandfather: Charles Younger Gifford.
A treasure you ask... and I say: "Yes" emphatically. You see he was a gentle old soul (remember as my great grandfather I only knew him as old). When I would visit, he always opened a box of Ginger Snaps cookies with this knife.  I don't know if boxes were sealed differently back in the '60s or not but he would pull this out of his pocket and open the top of the box...

He used this knife in many ways and I recall it being a tool - never a weapon or anything at all to be afraid of. Think about that in our times... we are not "allowed" to carry something like this!

Always with him and I have the wonderful privilege to possess this treasure!


My Grandpa Gifford:
Granpa Gifford was born in Michigan on June 17, 1880; died on December 13, 1965 in Beacon, New York.

1 comment:

  1. It is so amazing that you remember that. It really does make it a treasure. I wish I could get my hands on the special ice cream bowl I always used at Nana's. I would walk into the house, head straight to the cabinet for that bowl and raid the freezer for ice cream. It was always there.

    ReplyDelete